Monday, June 20, 2016

Waspecades and the Screeching Lady

Once upon a time, this lady had a swimming pool built in her back yard. She watched it go in with extreme excitement, for she could not wait to dip her tootsies into the warm, blue water. Through many long days she waited, sometimes patiently, sometimes not so much. Finally the day came when the pool was done and the water was cold, but who cares, right? In she went. It was October, and the weather was still reasonably hot so the cool water felt good. She only got to use it a couple of times before the season changed, temperatures cooled and the pool went into maintenance mode.

She eagerly anticipated the weather warming back up so that swimming could once again be done. It was March when the weather was warm enough to really start swimming. Little did she realize she wasn't the only one that would be enjoying her pool. The community was obviously tight knit, so the wasps also came to play. Urgh! How dare they! She had her pest company come out and spray her yard and eaves, but she could not go door to door and have the same thing done for all of her surrounding neighbors. She watched, as she floated in her pool, as waspecapades were done in her pool by the neighboring wasps who saw that body of water as a great place to grab a drink and cool off from the heat of the day.

That lady screeched many times in the following years. I am sure the neighbors find it quite amusing. If it were me I would say to her, what did you expect, the pool is outside with all the bugs and it is a big drinking hole for them to enjoy. Reason sometimes has little to do with phobia's though. This lady isn't fond of bugs, especially stinging ones, and so when they come into her vicinity you can see her paddling furiously around that pool and you can hear her screeching at them to get away from her.

Time to fess up. Yep, that screeching lady is me. Logic has nothing to do with this at all. I know I am a lot bigger than those flying bugs, but I don't care. I haven't wanted them using my pool to get a drink. I want to enjoy my water space without worrying about their waspecades. I did notice something this year as a new pool season has started. There are not as many wasps as before. I have floated and swam several time not being bothered by them at all. It makes me wonder which watering hole they are dipping their toes in, or whether my neighbors are having their yards sprayed. I won't go so far as to say I miss them, but I realized you can get used to most anything if you have to, and apparently I got used to my wasp company, so I wonder where they are roaming these days. Do you think my neighbors will miss my screeching at all? I can't help but smile at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment